Mukhwas, Saunf or Fennel Seeds is something that is very common in every Indian household. While some people use these seeds in food preparations, majority of Indians love to eat a few fennel seeds after meals. The main reason behind eating these seeds is to curb bad breath and freshen the mouth. However, not many people are aware that fennel seeds are a rich source of essential nutrients that are vital for our overall health.
Fennel seeds contain minerals like Calcium, Zinc, Potassium, Copper, Manganese, Vitamin C, Iron, Selenium and Magnesium. These minerals have immense benefits for the human body, ranging from regulating heart rate to controlling the acid-base balance in your stomach. Let’s understand a few of these benefits in detail:
1. Regulating blood pressure: Fennel seeds are a natural way to keep your blood pressure in check, according to a study. By chewing on these seeds, the nitrite content in the saliva increases, which leads to stabilizing the blood pressure. Moreover, the potassium content in these seeds proves to be beneficial for the cells and fluids in your body.
2. Keeping indigestion in check: These seeds contain good amounts of flavonoids and other essential oils like anethole. These oils gently irritate the stomach lining which relieves flatulence. You find it easy to expel gas from your body, thereby offering you relief from indigestion.
3. Helps in controlling blood sugar: Fennel seeds are known to improve insulin sensitivity. This is the reason that saunf is considered to be of great help for patients with Type 2 diabetes or for those who have a high risk of developing this medical condition. These seeds help to keep your blood sugar in control, thereby paving the way for a healthy life.
4. Relieve constipation: Fennel seeds are known to contain high amount of soluble dietary fibre which assists in improving your digestion process. The fibre helps in emptying your bowels, which keeps constipation at bay.
5. Good for your skin and eyes: The presence of zinc, calcium and selenium in fennel seeds improve your skin health and reduce the occurrence of acne. These minerals help in balancing the hormones in your body and also ensure oxygen balance. Vitamin A in saunf improves your eyesight and keeps your eyes in good health.
Having mukhwas after your meal is a good way to refresh your mouth, however, one must remember to consume these seeds in moderation. Eating plenty of fennel seeds can also be problematic for the body. So, the next time you put a small quantity of saunf in your mouth, remember all the good it does to your body than just relieving bad breath.
Visit Shreeji Foods online store now to purchase the best quality of Dry Fruits & Groceries at the best price. Shop now!