On a busy day, nothing is better than a quick snack full of nutrition. People try to achieve that instant dosage full of protein and energy through energy bars. But what if we told you, you could achieve the same result with energy balls made of dry fruits?
Dry fruits laddus are easy to make and highly nutrient-rich. You can make them without added sweetening or fats like sugar, jaggery, oil, or ghee. It is perfect for people with any diet restrictions. If you’re vegan, vegetarian, or don’t like fat and gluten in your diet, these laddus are for you!
Nutritionally they provide you with good fats, fibre, and a lot of protein. You can make these in under 20 minutes once you have all the ingredients ready. All you need is Figs, dates, and a choice of nuts! So let’s get started on this recipe.
To make these laddus today, we’ll use almonds, cashew nuts, resins, figs, and dates. You could also, as an option, add shredded coconut to the laddu if you want extra fibre. The proportions of the ingredients can be tweaked according to your personal preference.
You don’t need to sweeten these laddus because you will get the preferred amount of sweetness from the dry fruit ingredients only. Traditionally laddus have some sort of binding agent to make them into balls and hold their shape. For example, besan laddus have gram flour and sugar bound by ghee. For these laddus, the binding comes from dates and figs, as they have cohesive properties themselves.
Use pitted dates to make sure that there are no obstructions when you’re chopping them.
How to Make the Laddus
- The first step is to roast the almonds. Take 3 tablespoons full of almonds and roast them in a pan on medium-high heat. You can choose between roasting the almonds fully or lightly. Thoroughly roasting the almonds will give them more crunch. After the almonds are done, set them aside.
- For the next step, chop up some figs and some dates. This is going to act as the glue that binds everything together. Once you’re done chopping up the dates, you should measure it and accurately one cup full of dates. Adjust accordingly till you have one cup.
- Crush some cardamom seeds with a mortar and pestle. This crushed powder will give the laddus a whole new flavour, and more importantly, a very fragrant aroma. Discard the peels as they are useless.
- Add the dates, figs, some resins, 2 tablespoons of cashew nuts, coconut shavings or shreds, powdered cardamom, and the roasted almonds to a mixer jar or a blender. Blend all the ingredients together till they are mixed well.
- Lay out the contents of the mixer jar on a flat plate. Let the mixture harden just a little so that the coarse mixture can bind well when it is rolled into laddus.
- To finally make the laddus, take a palm-sized amount of the mixture. Roll it into a bowl and make sure they are all the same size. Do this to the entire mixture till you have the laddus ready.
The laddus can be had immediately, and they can also be stored in air-tight containers. They are fresh at room temperature for a few days and refrigerated they can last for a couple of weeks. However, it is suggested to have them as soon as possible because all the components mixed together taste the best when they are freshly rolled.
If you are making them for the reason of having a quick energy-rich snack for a long time, you can make a big batch and store them. These laddus are also good as celebratory offerings on Diwali or any other family occasion.
Shreeji Foods is where the best quality of Dry Fruits & Groceries Products are available at the most affordable prices.
We have a good collection of Dry Fruits & Groceries that include Dried Fruits, Ghee, Green Tea, Sweets, Cookies.
Visit Shreeji Foods online store now to purchase the best quality of Dry Fruits & Groceries at the best price. Shop now!