The diversity of Indian culture can be experienced when you feast on the cuisines of different states. The state of Maharashtra is known for its range of mild and spicy dishes, however, the sweets of Maharashtra have also found a permanent place in the hearts of millions of Indians. Ice Halwa is one such distinctly Maharashtrian sweet that originated from the small island of Mahim near Mumbai. This is the reason this mithai is also known as Mahim Halwa, Mumbai Halwa or Paper Halwa.
This paper-thin delectable sweet comes with a crunchy nuts dressing and melts in your mouth to leave a delectable aftertaste. It is said that Mohanlal Mithaiwala was the first one to introduce the Ice Halwa in the market many decades ago. Since then, this Maharashtrian mithai can be found in different sweet shops across the country in numerous flavours and colours.
This layered sweet is prepared by using a mixture of cornflour and milk. However, this sweet can also be prepared using Semolina or all-purpose flour (maida). Shreeji Foods brings to you Mix Fruit Ice Halwa which contains the goodness of pure ghee along with sprinkled almonds and flavoured with cardamom. You can also prepare Ice Halwa at your home by following the recipe given below:
- Heat around 2 tbsps of pure ghee in a kadhai and add a cup of milk to it. Once this mixture gets warm, add 2 tbsps of corn flour and stir continuously on low flame to avoid the formation of lumps.
- Once you get a mixture with an even consistency, add sugar, cardamom, and food colour to the mixture and mix well.
- Add ghee and turn off the gas.
- Once the mixture comes to warm temperature, spread it over butter paper and roll it to a paper-like thickness with the help of a rolling pin. Once the mixture is flattened well, sprinkle almonds and pistachios over it and let the mixture cool down for a few hours.
- Using a knife, cut the mixture into multiple square pieces and voila! Your very own homemade Mumbai Ice Halwa is ready!
Mumbai Ice Halwa might not be the same as your traditional moong dal halwa or gajar ka halwa, but it is a dessert that is ideal for satiating your sweet cravings. This delicious sweet is best enjoyed during the summer season as it tastes good when it is refrigerated to offer you a cool and icy feeling the moment it melts in your mouth. Shreeji Foods Mix Fruit Ice Halwa is a great addition to any festive season because of its delectable taste and crunchy texture that is sure to be loved by children and adults alike.